We put our people first. As an employer of choice, Acera Insurance, formerly Megson FitzPatrick Insurance, offers an outstanding workplace and employee culture that creates valuable opportunities for all employees.
Our people are:
- Encouraged to challenge the status quo and never stop learning in their commitment to excellence.
- Empowered with a sense of accountability and autonomy to take ownership of their work.
- Treated with respect and act with integrity by putting clients, colleagues, and community first.
- Recognized for their achievements and celebrate festivities, big and small, to make work fun.
We also proudly offer most employees the opportunity to become owners. With over 550 employee owners, Acera Insurance is the only Canadian brokerage that is widely owned by its employees. Our employee owners have a vested interest and get to share in Acera Insurance’s success — which they make possible.
Join our award-winning network of over 1,000 professionals across Canada and change the way people feel about insurance.
Megson FitzPatrick is looking for an ambitious, engaging Underwriter to be a part of our Commercial Team. You will be responsible for ensuring compliance to our Underwriting guidelines.
- Analyze property and liability requests for quotes, renewals, policy changes and recommend innovative solutions;
- Negotiate and underwrite business using our philosophies and guidelines;
- Refer risks that are not within assigned authority levels;
- Proactively grow the liability portfolio through strategy, development, and implementation in tandem with the Lloyd's Team Leader;
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of contracts, forms, wordings, and company products;
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with the commercial team;
- Make recommendations to improve the department and increase its efficiency;
- Participate in regular Lloyd's meetings;
- Participate in annual contract renewals;
- Participate in annual Lloyd's planning;
- Attend industry events;
- Remain up to date with industry knowledge;
- All other duties as directed by management.
Location and Status:
Permanent full-time employment (35 hrs/week)
Hours: 9am - 5pm
- Minimum of 3-5 years of commercial insurance experience;
- Previous commercial underwriting experience is required;
- Completion of or working towards a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation;
- University degree would be considered an asset;
- Knowledge of Commercial Insurance wordings;
- Strong analytical, assessment, decision-making, and organizational skills;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills;
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office products and computer tools;
- Motivated and a self-starter;
- Strong time management skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a changing environment.
Values & Competencies:
- Strong business acumen;
- Competitive by nature;
- Strong people skills with the ability to get along with all personalities;
- Strong initiative with a can-do attitude;
- Detail oriented;
- High level of follow-up and follow through;
- Strong and confident;
- Efficient and always looking to improve processes and procedures.
Acera Insurance is one of the largest independent, employee-controlled brokerages in Canada. With over 60 locations across Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and the Yukon, and $1 billion in gross written premium, our team provides individuals, families and businesses unbiased insurance and risk management solutions that have a distinct Canadian perspective. Our collaborative work structure combines our people’s strength and expertise to offer greater value, knowledge, and resources to our personal and commercial clients nationwide, including comprehensive group benefits.
Acera Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to all forms of diversity in the workplace. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
To apply for a position, please go to https://www.megsonfitzpatrick.com/about-us/careers/ and complete an online profile/application. We will no longer accept resumes via email.